Painted by Paul Curtis for Lost Soles clothing company, a mural depicting Liverpool City including many of Liverpool's famous architectural wonders, including The Royal Liver Buildings, St George's Hall, St John's Beacon, the Museum of Liverpool, the Port of Liverpool Building, the Royal Albert Docks and the Superlambanana. The mural is half monochrome, half bold colour style, a bit of a trademark style of Paul's. The buildings are slightly simplified to increase the boldness of the lines and shadows. Lost Soles is an independent menswear clothing range that specialises in casual styles, highly popular with football fans. Their flagship store is located on Liverpool's Royal Albert Dock, which is where you will find this mural.
Click here to see more about the Lost Soles mural
Paul's most recent mural is a street art tribute to the most famous race horse in the world, Red Rum. This time lapse and footage records Liverpool artist, Paul Curtis, painting a huge mural in honour of the legendary horse. The mural is 15 metres tall and 20 metres wide (300 square metres) - the biggest Paul has painted to date. It was commissioned by The Sefton Borough of Culture Committee in March 2020. The mural is located at Marine Drive in Southport, Merseyside. Red Rum will forever be tightly linked to Southport as it was here that he was stabled. Trainer, Ginger McCain, would put Rummy through his paces by taking him for a gallop along Southport Beach. It is this regular sight during the 1970's that I have tried to capture. Red Rum is galloping towards the viewer, right at the water's edge, with the spray and froth from the sea exploding in his wake. Red Rum is the most successful Grand National horse ever. He holds the record for the most wins (three, 1973, 1974, and 1977) and runner up twice (1975 and 1976).
Click here to see the Red Rum mural page.
This mural is the Birkenhead Coat of Arms which was modified in the early 1990s by Tranmere Rovers FC and used on their shirts for a short period. The arms were officially granted to Birkenhead on August 28, 1878. The borough of Birkenhead was founded in 1877 after the merger of Birkenhead, Claughton-cum-Grange, Oxton and Tranmere. The new borough received its arms on August 28, 1878, and the symbols in the new arms were taken from the seals of the former towns. The crosier and the lion were taken from the old Birkenhead seal and represent the Benedictine monastery in Birkenhead. The monastery was founded by Hamon de Massey in 1150 and the lion is taken from the arms of the Massey family. The oak is taken from Tranmere. The two lions are taken from Oxton. The meaning of the crescents is not known.The crest shows the lion and crosier again as well as an anchor symbolising that Birkenhead depends on sailing and shipping. This painting was done in Oxton, Birkenhead. It was a commission piece for Tranmere Rovers Trust. This particular coat of arms unexpectedly became controversial. It received a large amount of media attention as a few local residents did not like it being located in Oxton. Some residents liked the mural and want it to stay.
Check out the new page here.